The thing about Disney movies is, they’re fun to watch no matter how old you are. For this reason, there’s nothing like a good Disney movie viewing party with friends on a rainy day to give you all the happy comfy feels.
That’s why we want to assemble and present to you the perfect, most aesthetically pleasing Disney viewing party DIYs for the slightly more grown up girl who is still a princess at heart. Let’s start with Tangled because Rapunzel’s cabin fever at the beginning of the film kind of reminds us of how we’re feeling this winter. (Can we please go outside so our lives can finally begin?!?)
Rapunzel Flower Crown
To start us off, the most amazing part of Tangled is arguably Rapunzel’s beautifully animated, reason-defying magical hair. Having hair that long would be impractical to say the least, so for a complimentary Tangled accessory, we focused more on Rapunzel’s beautiful flower braid (also reminds of us spring, when will it be spring!?!).
Since not everyone has hair long enough to braid and tuck beautiful flowers into, we instead made a flower crown filled with flowers that are reminiscent of the colors in Rapunzel’s dress.
Here’s what you’ll need to make the perfect Tangled flower crown to wear on Tangled movie night.
Assorted flowers (medium bouquet)
Heavy silver wire
- Using the heavy silver wire, make a circle to fit around your head. Add an extra inch to the head measurement and cut the wire. Fasten the circle by wrapping the two ends of the wire together using pliers. The extra inch is to give you wire to overlap and fasten the crown into a circle.
- Cover the entire circle with floral tape.
- Trim the assorted flowers, leaving 1-2 inches of stem remaining on the ends. Create small bunches of 2-3 flowers and wrap the stems of each bunch with floral wire and then floral tape.
- Beginning with one mini bunch of 2-3 flowers, use floral wire to wrap and fasten the stems to the circle. Follow with floral tape to cover the exposed wire. Continue attaching the flower bunches with floral wire and tape until the flower crown is full and there are no gaps.
The lanterns in Tangled are a pretty important plot point. Their beauty is what gets Rapunzel out of her tower, which is beautiful considering the lanterns are actually intended for her.
A viewing party is all the more fun with themed decor, and these lantern lights are a perfect match for Tangled, AND they’ll look beautiful pretty much anywhere in your house after that. Plus, you can choose any color you’d like to create the lanterns; we went with white since it’s so versatile and will match our room better than the more signature Rapunzel purple.
You can have these lights ready to go when your viewing party pals arrive, or you can all sit back and fold together while you watch the movie and have a strand of lantern lights ready by the time Rapunzel and Flynn make it to the lantern lighting scene. Either way, they’ll make the perfect setting for an “I See the Light” sing-along.
20 sheets* of 8.5 x 11” white paper (standard printer paper)
*The number of sheets will depend on how many lights on your strand of twinkle lights.
Strand of white LED twinkle lights
- Trim 8.5×11 sheet of paper to 8.5 x 8.5”. You will have a perfect square.
- Follow folding instructions as directed in the graphic.
- Once the mini paper lantern is inflated, push a twinkle light into the little hole on the bottom. Continue with remaining lanterns
Snacks! Purple Popcorn
Finally, the snacks! You can’t have a movie night without popcorn; it’s just against the rules of movies. To put a Tangled spin on this popcorn, we took another cue from Rapunzel’s signature purple, and added some sprinkles because sprinkles make everything more fun.
8-9 cups Microwavable popcorn, natural, simply salted (2 packs)
6-7 ounces (1 bag) Purple Candy Melts (found at Michael’s Craft Store)
Medium sized microwaveable bowl
Large mixing bowl
- Make 2 packages of microwavable popcorn in the microwave.
- Once popped, empty contents of the popcorn bags into a large mixing bowl.
- Place purple candy melts into a microwavable bowl and microwave for 45 seconds to 1 minute or until fully melted. Caution the candy melt will be very hot.
- Pour the melted candy melt over the popcorn and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- While the popcorn and candy melt mixture is still warm, sprinkle with sprinkles.
- Spread the party popcorn mixture on a cookie sheet and let cool.
- Serve in a cast iron skillet or frying pan for a great Tangled movie night snack.