Today marks the 46th anniversary of Earth Day, a holiday dedicated to celebrating our beautiful planet. On a day where you’re offered countless facts, figures, and suggestions concerning the state of the natural world and how you can do your part, it’s easy to get overwhelmed, or—if you’re like me—worry you’re not doing nearly enough for the environment. While drastic changes are laudable, it’s important to recognize that little changes to your daily routine can really add up, too.
By now, most of us know about carrying re-usable water bottles and reducing waste. Today, we’re taking on another element of our day-to-day life: beauty products. Inspired by Baloo’s famous “bare necessities” lifestyle, we’ve kept it simple by choosing the five eco-friendly beauty products you can seamlessly work into your makeup regimen, while also making a difference.
- If there’s one thing we know about Baloo, it’s that he loves honey. Following his lead, we’re buzzing over Burt’s Bees’ Limited Edition “Bring Back the Bees” lip balms. Not only are these balms 100% natural, but part of the proceeds go to charity. We think Baloo would particularly this love Coconut and Pear flavor.
- Long-lasting and chip-resistant, ZOYA nail polish is a go-to natural choice. The brand also has a 2016 Earth Day Exchange, where you can trade in old polish for one of their environmentally conscious choices. This shade (Odette) reminds us of the lily pads Baloo and Mowgli drift past in the original animated film.
- We get that some people are wary of trying eco-friendly hair products, for fear of not getting the same squeaky-clean feel. Having personally tried this brand, I can put those worries to rest. Shea Moisture Shampoo smells amazing and offers completely organic and sustainable products. This fruity scent perfectly evokes a jungle vibe.
- RMS Beauty brands itself as an original, pure, and organic alternative to less planet-friendly products. Their Buriti Bronzer has received rave reviews online, while their lip2cheek line formula doubles as a cream blush and lip balm. In terms of cutting down your makeup bag to the bare necessities, these choices check all the boxes.
- Lastly, we had to spotlight the Honest Company—specifically, their Honest Mineral Sunscreen. Made with simple products, this water resistant sunblock skips harmful chemicals and lets you enjoy sunny spring days, completely guilt-free.